Some people find it helpful to look through books for information that may be applicable to their own circumstances. These are some of the books from Dr. Mendelson's library.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Beugin, Mary E. (1990). Coping: Attention Deficit Disorder. Calgary, AB: Detselig Enterprises Ltd.
- Hallowell, Edward M., Ratey, John J. (1994). Driven To Distraction. New York: Touchstone
- Wender, Paul H. (1987). The Hyperactive Child, Adolescent, and Adult: Attention Deficit Disorder Through the Lifespan. New York: Oxford University Press
Anxiety and Depression in children
- Kaufman, Miriam. (2000). Helping Your Teen Overcome Depression: A Guide for Parents. Toronto, ON: Key Porter Books
- Last, Cynthia G. (2006). Help For Worried Kids: How Your Child Can Conquer Anxiety and Fear. New York: The Guilford Press
- Manassis, Katharina. (1996). Keys To Parenting Your Anxious Child. Hauppauge, NY: Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
- March, John S. (2007). Talking Back To OCD: The Program that Helps Kids and Teens Say "No Way" – and Parents Say "Way to Go". New York: The Guilford Press
Anxiety and Depression in adults
- Bourne, Edmund J. (1995). The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Burns, David D. (1999). The Feeling Good Handbook. New York: Plume
- Clark, Lynn. (2002). SOS Help for Emotions: Managing Anxiety, Anger and Depression. Bowling Green, KY: SOS Programs and Parents Press
- Greenbereger, Dennis & Padesky, Christine A. (1995). Mind Over Mood. New York: The Guilford Press
- Dawson, G., McPartland, J., & Ozoniff, S. (2002). A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How To Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive. New York: The Guilford Press
Divorce and loss
- Ahrons, Constance. (1994). The Good Divorce: Keeping Your Family Together When Your Marriage Comes Apart. New York: Quill (An imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
- Ahrons, Constance. (2004). We're Still Family: What Grown Children Have to Say about their Parents' Divorce. New York: Perennial Currents (An imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
- Coloroso, Barbara. (1999). Parenting Through Crisis: Helping Kids in Times of Loss, Grief, and Change. Toronto, ON: Penguin Books
- Fitzgerald, Helen. (1992). The Grieving Child: A Parent's Guide. New York: Fireside
- Natenshon, Abigail H. (1999). When Your Child Has an Eating Disorder. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers
Parenting young children
- Faber, Adele & Mazlish, Elaine. (1987). Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too. New York: Avon Books
- Faber, Adele & Mazlish, Elaine. (2003). How to Talk to Children will Listen and Listen so Children will Talk. New York: Avon Books
- Clark, Lynn. (1996). SOS Help for Parents. Bowling Green, KY: SOS Parents and Parents' Press
- Mindell, Jodi A. (1997). Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers and Their Parents Can Get A Good Night's Sleep. New York: HarperPerennial
- Bayard, J. & Bayard, R. T. (1983). How To Deal With Your Acting-Up Teenager. New York: M. Evans & Company, Inc.
- Bluestein, Jane. (1993). Parents Teens and Boundaries: How to Draw the Line. Deerfield Beach, Florida: Health Communications, Inc.
- Edgette, Janet Sasson. (2002). Stop Negotiating With Your Teen: Strategies for Parenting Your Angry, Manipulative, Moody, or Depressed Adoloscent. New York: Perigee
- Forgatch, M., & Patterson, G. (1987). Parents and Adolescents Living Together: Part 1: The Basics. Eugene, OR: Castalia Publishing Company
- Forgatch, M., & Patterson, G. (1989). Parents and Adolescents Living Together: Part 2: Family Problem Solving. Eugene, OR: Castalia Publishing Company
- Marshall, Peter. (2000). Now I Know Why Tigers Eat Their Young: Surviving a New Generation of Teenagers. Vancouver/Toronto: Whitecap Books
- Sells, Scott P. (2001). Parenting Your Out-of-Control Teenager. New York: St. Martin's Griffin
- Wooding, G. Scott. (1995). Parenting Today's Teenager Effectively: Hear Me, Hug Me, Trust Me. Calgary, AB: Script Publishing Inc.
Parenting challenging children
- Greene, Ross W. (2001). The Explosive Child (Second Edition). New York: Quill (An imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
- Kurcinka, Mary Sheedy. (1991). Raising Your Spirited Child. New York: HarperCollins Publishers
- Turecki, Stanley. (1989). The Difficult Child. New York: Bantam Books
Top of Page